Schieffer College Advising & FAQs

Knowing that academic advising is a key component to helping students graduate, our goal is to help you succeed academically so that you can fulfill your dreams and meet your potential. Because advising is a shared responsibility between an advisor and the student, professional advisors help students integrate information so they can make well-informed academic decisions.

The Bob Schieffer College of Communication Academic Advisor works with and is available to students throughout the entire TCU experience and assists students with developing academic plans, exploring major and career options, navigating transitions, and overcoming challenges. Through partnership with the Career Consultant to the Bob Schieffer College of Communication, students can receive career advising and attend workshops, conferences and career fairs to develop job-search and career decision-making skills they will use in college and beyond. Personalized resume critiques and participation in mock interviews are among the many services provided for Schieffer College students.

Frequently Asked Questions

Go to the Student Center on > student homepage > academic progress. Click or tap the “Advisors” tab on the left-hand menu to see your advisor’s name.

Log into and go to Academic Records, then to Transfer Credit. Enter the requested data, then look for approval/denial emails.

Absolutely! All four departments in the college encourage their students to take advantage of study abroad programs. Be sure to check your eligibility: Applicants must be currently enrolled, degree-seeking students in good standing at TCU. All semester programs require a minimum 2.8 GPA and two prior semesters at TCU. Some programs have additional prerequisites, so check the program page to confirm your eligibility.

The Center for International Studies is THE source of all accurate and up-to-date information regarding Study Abroad. Check out the helpful resources on their website to get started.

We recommend that you do, after you’ve attended a study Abroad Information Session and reviewed the available program offerings. Your academic advisor can assist you with planning to ensure you’ll stay on track with degree progress.

  1. Print a copy of the Credit Approval Form.
  2. Go to the Center for International Studies page and set up an account with Global TCU.
  3. Search for your program and find your course(s).
  4. Fill out top of page 1, sign and date page 2, then complete Course Information and sign and date page 3.
  5. You MUST get your form signed by the department chair of your major or minor.
  6. Once you have the necessary signatures, bring the signed, completed form to the Dean’s Office (MOUS 207).

Deadlines for applications can be found on the Study Abroad website. For more information, visit

Go to Student Center on Click Academic Records then Request Change of Major.

Check the academic calendar for specific dates, but you should be able to add/drop on the first week of classes. After that, add/drops require multiple permissions. For students in the Schieffer College, you can use this form to request an add/drop after the first week; however, they may be denied due to missing too many class days, etc.

Once a student has completed 84 hours. It can be found at

Students must successfully complete at least 124 semester hours.

This document is electronically updated by TCU’s database system so it is always current. It is the official record of your academic career that is used by the Registrar’s Office to confirm academic requirements for graduation have been met. It lists the courses that are satisfying your degree requirements, and it shows the degree requirements that you still need to complete.

Access the report at Click Academic Progress, then My Academic Requirements and click the “View Report As PDF” button.

You can find a list of approved Core Curriculum Courses at

Students must earn a cumulative GPA of at 2.0 in all work attempted at TCU, earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in all courses attempted in the department of the major, and earn a cumulative GPA in all courses applied to the minor. Some minor programs may require a GPA greater than a 2.0 for graduation.

Students must successfully complete at least 42 hours at the advanced level numbered 30000 or above.