B.A., Houston Baptist University
M.S., Texas Christian University
Ph.D., University of North Texas
COMM 20223 – Communication Theory
COMM 40233 – Communication in Group Leadership
Areas of Focus
Communication Apprehension. Instructional communication. Physiology of Communication
- Communication apprehension and public speaking instruction. In P. Witt (Ed.), Handbooks of Communication Science: Vol. 22, Communication and Learning.
- Motivational factors and communication competence. In A. F. Hannawa & B. H. Spitzberg (Eds.), Handbook of Communication Competence.
- Profiles of response stereotypy and specificity for public speaking state anxiety. In J. M. Honecutt, C. R. Sawyer, & S. A. Keaton (Eds.), The Influence of Communication on Physiology and Health
- The Influence of Communication on Physiology and Health.
- Listening fidelity among native and nonnative English-speaking undergraduates as a function of listening apprehension and gender. Communication Research Reports.
- Components of students’ grade expectations for public speaking assignments. Communication Education.
- Psychophysiological patterns of arousal in communication. In M. J. Beatty & J. C. McCroskey (eds.), Biological Dimensions of Communication: Perspectives, Methods, and Research.
Chair of NCA’s Communication Apprehension and Avoidance Commission
- Nomination for Minnie Stephens Piper Foundation award
- Twice recipient of College of Communication Distinguished Research and Creative Activity Award
- Recipient, Deans Research and Creative Activity Award
- Top Paper Awards from Communication Apprehension and Competence Division of the National Communication Association for 2016, 2015, 2010, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004.
- Top Paper Award from Basic Course Division of the National Communication Association for 2014 & 2012.
- Top Conference Paper from the International Listening Association.
- Named Top Ten Scholar in Communication Studies, 1915-2006
- Article of the Year Award from the Communication Apprehension and Competence Division of the National Communication Association.
- National Communication Association
- Southern States Communication Association
- Eastern Communication Association