The Department of Strategic Communication aims to affirm diversity, equity, and inclusion as a way of life within our department and in the world for students, staff, and faculty members, rather than an isolated objective related to assessment or recruitment. We will prepare students to provide leadership as new professionals to further diversity, equity, and inclusion in their careers. We accomplish these goals in the following ways:
- Establish, maintain, and encourage a diversity-related curriculum that focuses solely on diversity and integrates diversity into the curriculum broadly by making it part of every course as appropriate, thereby helping students to see diversity in the context of the professions, but also realizing that most need an intensive course to kick start their knowledge and awareness.
- Recognize diversity as an economic, legal, moral, ethical, social, and political issue.
- Acknowledge the rich contributions of all people from diverse backgrounds, especially contributions by professionals in our disciplines.
- Design and emphasize creative, innovative ways to encourage a culture of inclusiveness among faculty and staff members, in student organizations, and in our classrooms
- Provide learning and development opportunities for faculty, staff, and students on promoting an inclusive environment.
- Create a culture in which no individual is given or denied an opportunity because of any aspect of diversity.
- Maintain goals related to recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- Help faculty, staff, and students identify ways to represent their contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in assessments and evaluations.
- Provide funding to support students who want to participate in professional activities and travel to conferences.
To read more about TCU’s overall diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, visit www.tcu.edu/about/diversity-equity-inclusion.php.