M.S., Columbia University
JOUR 10103 - Media Literacy
JOUR 10203 – Introduction to Journalism
JOUR 30543 – Multimedia Reporting
JOUR 40203 – Newscast
JOUR 40213 – Television Sportscast
JOUR 40983 - Multi-Platform Capstone
Areas of Focus
Chimbel’s areas of focus are broadcast and digital journalism.
- Why I’m a Journalist: Personal Stories from Those Who Cover the News
- Introduction to Journalism
- “Where to Begin Teaching Entrepreneurship? Try the Intro Class.” Newspaper Research Journal.
- “What Matters for Journalism Grads Five Years Later: Writing, Communication Skills.” MediaShift.
- “Opening Storytelling Up: Pushing Students to Go Beyond Traditional Storytelling Forms.” Teaching Journalism & Mass Communication.
- “Why Journalism Students Need a Baseline Understanding of Coding.” MediaShift.
- “Forget Theory Versus Practice, Now It’s Old School Versus New School Skills.” Electronic News.
- “Fuzzy, transparent, and fast: Journalists and public relations practitioners characterize their connections and interactions in social media.” The Journal of Social Media in Society.
Chimbel’s previous experience includes positions as a mobile journalist at WFAA-TV in Dallas-Fort Worth, a reporter for KWTX-TV in Waco/Temple/Killeen, and a producer at Texas Cable News. He produced two documentaries: “Soldier of God” and “Learning the Language.”
- Five regional Emmy Awards
- National Edward R. Murrow Award
- Honorable Mention, Texas Associated Press Broadcasters awards
- Four-time national finalist in National Press Photographers’ Best of Photojournalism competition
- TCU Mortar Board Preferred Professor
- Teaching News Terrifically in the 21st Century, the Teaching Ideas Competition of the Newspaper and Online News Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Second Place
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Broadcast Education Association