Chair of Journalism and Associate Professor
email@example.com | 817-257-4431
Ph.D., University of Missouri
M.A., University of Missouri
M.Sc., University of Lagos, Nigeria
B.Sc., University of Benin, Nigeria
JOUR 10203 – Introduction to Journalism
JOUR 20003 – Diversity in the Media
Areas of Focus
Political Communication/Media & Politics. International Communication. Mass Communication Theory.
- Framing from the inside: an examination of Pakistani newspapers’ house editorials on Osama bin Laden’s targeted assassination. The Journal of International Communication.
- Gratification in journalism practice: An assessment of Kuwaiti journalists’ perspective. Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism.
- Framing conflicts in Africa: A comparative analysis of United States and United Kingdom news outlets. International Communication Research Journal.
- Newspaper agendas and public opinion in the 2007 Kenya presidential election. Ecquid Novi: African Journalism Studies.
- ‘I’m Sister Maria. Please help me’: A lexical study of 4-1-9 International Advance Fee Fraud email communications. International Communication Gazette.
- Thirty Years of Broadcasting Africa on the U.S. Network Television News. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media.
- Newspaper Coverage of Post Political Election Violence in Africa: An Assessment of the Kenyan Example. Media, War & Conflict.
- Social Audits as Media Watchdogging. Journal of Mass Media Ethics.
Director of the School of Journalism – Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois. Fulbright Specialist at BRAC University, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Guest Editor of a special issue of the International Communication Research Journal (ICRJ), a publication of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). Dr. Onyebadi’s journalism career began at Vanguard newspaper, Nigeria. Sports presenter and commentator on radio and television, in Kenya. Involved in sports management and promotion.
- Top Faculty Paper in the Radio-Television Journalism Division
- Fulbright Specialist Grant awarded by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State, and the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).
- John Bies International Travel Grant for Doctoral Dissertation.
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)