Chair of Strategic Communication and Professor
email@example.com | 817-257-6552
Ph.D., Humanities, University of Texas, Arlington
Writing & Editing, Public Relations, Diversity, Case Studies, Strategic Writing, Junior and Senior Honors in Strategic Communication, Graduate Ethics
Areas of Focus
Public sector communication and planning. Public relations ethics. Representations of gender and sexuality in media and marketing. Computer-mediated and social media communication.
- Sex in Consumer Culture: The Erotic Content of Media and Marketing (Erlbaum), co-edited/co-authored.
- Sex in Advertising: Perspectives on the Erotic Appeal, co-edited/co-authored.
- “Considering certification?: An analysis of universities’ communication certificates and feedback from public relations professionals.” Journal of Public Relations Education.
- “Boosters, idealized citizens, and cranks: Community managers for cities share nostalgia, fun, and information in social media, but real engagement is messy and time-consuming.” Public Relations and Participatory Culture: Fandom, Social Media, and Community Engagement.
- “Fuzzy, transparent, and fast: Journalists and public relations practitioners characterize their connections and interactions in social media.” The Journal of Social Media in Society.
- “Symbolic interactions in sexual scripts: Improvisation and male consumer responses to gay-vague advertising.” Coming Out of the Closet: Exploring LGBT Issues in Strategic Communication with Theory and Research.
- “Engendering relationship outcomes through stakeholder involvement: A case study of a nonprofit organization,” Southwestern Mass Communication Journal.
- “Privileging rights, ignoring victims: Cosmopolitanism and Amazon’s decision to defend, and then abandon, its selling of a pedophile’s manifesto.” Contemporary Media Ethics.
Consulted or spoken to groups about earning their share of discussion in social media and public relations opportunities: Texas Association of Municipal Information Officers, national City-County Communication and Marketing Association, Texas City Management Association, Dallas Regional Chamber, communicators with the City of Austin, managers of Abilene and San Angelo, Children’s Medical Center-Dallas, American Heart Association, and the UT-Southwestern Medical Center. Taught in the Mayborn School of Journalism at the University of North Texas. Spokeswoman for an East Coast electric utility serving Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. Wire editor, business reporter and news editor at several suburban newspapers owned by the Belo Corp.
- The Jean Giles-Sims Wise Woman Award, TCU Women and Gender Studies.
- Schieffer College of Communication Faculty Member of the Year, Student Government Association.
- Last Lecture Professor.
- First Place and Wilcox Award for Refereed Teaching Research, Public Relations Division, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
- The Cheryl A. Soward Communicator of Distinction Award from the Texas Association of Municipal Information Officers.
- Top-50 journalism professor by the writers of JournalismDegree.org.
- Finalist for the Wassenich Award for Mentoring in the TCU Community.
- Top Prof by the TCU Mortar Board Society.
- Top paper award (with Koji Fuse), SWECJMC Fall Symposium.
- Alan Scott Rising Star Award from the Texas Public Relations Association.
- Founder and co-director, TCU Certified Public Communicator program.
- Founder and co-director, TCU Nonprofit Communicator Conference.
- Editorial Board Member (founding), Case Studies in Strategic Communication journal.
- Division Chair, Cultural and Critical Studies Division, AEJMC
- Member, Cultural and Critical Studies Division, AEJMC
- Member, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Core faculty, TCU Women and Gender Studies