email@example.com | 817-257-4524
Ph.D., University of Kansas
M.A., University of Kansas
B.S., Wheaton College
COMM 20223 – Communication Theory
COMM 30233 – Social Networking Sites and Personal Relationships
COMM 60193 – Adv Research Methods in Communication
COMM 60213 – Social Networking Sites and Personal Relationships
Areas of Focus
Maintaining interpersonal relationships using technology
How attitudes toward technology shape its use
Family communication patterns.
- Enjoyment fosters media use frequency and determines its relational outcomes: Toward a synthesis of uses and gratifications theory and media multiplexity theory. Computers in Human Behavior.
- Why do students use mobile technology for social purposes during class?: Modeling teacher credibility, learner empowerment, and online communication attitude as predictors. Communication Education.
- Online communication attitude similarity in romantic dyads: Predicting couples’ frequency of e-mail, instant messaging, and social networking site communication. Communication Quarterly.
- A theoretical comparison of relational maintenance and closeness as mediators of family communication patterns in parent-child relationships. Journal of Family Communication.
- Do online communication attitudes mitigate the association between Facebook use and relational interdependence? An extension of media multiplexity theory. New Media & Society.
- More than a game: Friendship relational maintenance and attitudes toward Xbox LIVE communication. Communication Research.
- Attitudes toward online social connection and self disclosure as predictors of Facebook communication and relational closeness. Communication Research.
- Measuring online communication attitude: Instrument development and validation. Communication Monographs.
Assistant Professor, Ohio University School of Communication Studies, 2007-2010
- Multiple top paper awards
- A First Look at Communication Theory (9th ed.)
- Directed Sam Taylor’s master’s thesis, which received the Outstanding Thesis Award from the Interpersonal Communication Division of the National Communication Association.
- Outstanding Mentor Award from the Master’s Education Division of the National Communication Association.
- Article of the Year Award from the Journal of Family Communication
- Early Career Award from the Interpersonal Communication Division of the National Communication Association.
- NCA “Teachers on Teaching” recognition.
- Outstanding New Teacher Award from the Central States Communication Association.
- Research featured in The Atlantic.
- National Communication Association
- Central States Communication Association